Thursday, March 14, 2013

First Trimester Workout Regimen


First Trimester Workouts:

I have been pretty into fitness since college when I woke up one morning and realized that if I didn't start working out eventually my lightening fast metabolism would slow down and I would start weighing thousands of pounds. I won't go into crazy detail but for the past 5 years or so I have been working out regularly and three years ago I started to run (never ran before in my life...now I have three half marathons under my belt). 

Any-who I ran another 1/2 in August then I had a major couch potato attack and pretty much didn't do ANYTHING until I found out I was pregnant. Once the stick turned I had an incredibly selfish freak out moment "OMG I'm gonna gain SOO much weight with this yikes!" Don't get me wrong, I understand that this is all a part of the process but I would be lying if I told you that I was totally and completely fine with gaining 30ish pounds over the next 7 months. After I was done with my freakout I did some reading on nutrition and pregnancy and realized that I had a lot more control over this that I originally thought. I definitely got behind working out for as long as I can during my pregnancy, not only because it's good for me but it's good for the baby.

This was my routine during my First Trimester


1) Running:

Couch to 5k

So I used to average 10-15 miles per week when I was training; the kinda crappy thing about "taking a break" from running is that it's not so much a "break" as it's losing all of your conditioning. After about 3 months of zip, zilch, zero running I was pretty much back to 4-6 miles a week if I was lucky. I did do that a few times after we moved then there was Christmas then I found out about the baby. My doctor gave me the ok to run but I was feeling so tired and blah that I didn't want to push myself so I decided to re-do the 'ol couch to 5k program which I was very easy for me to do even on days when I couldn't stay awake for more than 5 minutes at a time. The pics are screen shots from the app I used way back when when I first started running in 2010. Check it out here. Trust me when I say if you are not a runner but always wanted to give it a shot this is the way to go; If I can do it ANYONE CAN DO IT!!!



2) DVDs

First Trimester Workouts
*Do you Zumba?*
I was actually doing a cycle of P90x with Kyle when I found out about the pregnancy and we were about halfway through and the workouts were getting pretty intense so I knew I couldn't keep doing that so I looked on amazon for a prenatal workout that I could do that actually was appropriate for people who were going into their pregnancy somewhat physically fit and I found Summer Sanders' Prenatal Workout and I tried to do it about 3 time a week. I like the fact that there is a different workout for each trimester; just when I was about to shoot myself from doing the same thing over and over again it was time to move on to the next trimesters' workout :-). It also gives you an "express workout" option which is nice on those days when I couldn't stay awake for more than 5 minutes at a time. The Zumba game for Wii was one I bought last year and has been a fun way to incorporate some cardio on days I don't want to run for whatever reason.


Things I liked:

I liked the variety and options for shorter workouts which kept me motivated on days when the last thing I wanted to was work out. 

I know that I'm doing what's best for my baby and helping them grow healthy and strong by keeping my body healthy and strong. 

My total out of pocket expense was only $9.99 for the Summer Sanders' DVD. Much cheeper than the $100 bucks a month I was spending on my old yoga studio in San Diego (but I do miss my hot Vinyasa Yoga....le sigh....)


Things I want to try for next Trimester:

I have herd cool things about prenatal Pilates so i'm going to try and incorporate that

I'm going to sign up for a Prenatal Yoga class at a local studio in a few weeks because I miss yoga (but I already said that right?)


Well I hope this inspired all you other mom's to be 
(and other lovely ladies) to get up and get moving!

Stay Sweaty!

No comments:

Post a Comment