Monday, February 8, 2010

Grad School

For those of you lovely people who have been reading every so often you know that I have been obsessing about Grad School for the past, well, it feels like forever (actual time about 6 months). I have been going back and forth about what I want to do since November. At first I wanted to teach at a school of nursing, be a clinical professor, so I decided I wanted to get my masters in nursing education. Awesome, I can do it online, easy easy!

So I started calling universities and getting my applications together for University of Phoenix and Walden University. I had decided to go for Walden University and I was literally putting pen to the paper of my application when I thought, what did I really want out of this? Sure I can teach, but I wouldn't be able to use my master's degree to practice. Hmm...If I get my Nurse Practitioner I can teach AND practice? Plus better hours and more pay to keep doing what I love to do, take care of patients and teach.

O.K. sounds good I'll get my NP, now which one? This set me back A LOT. I have always had a passion for women's care and obstetrics, so I thought hey being a midwife might be fun, researching into it got me really passionate about the midwifery model of care, however the nitty gritty of the actual job was a turn-off. Near impossible access to insurance and the horrific hours don't really butter my bread if you know what I mean. For sure when I start having kids I will have a midwife deliver me, It just isn't my passion enough for me to make the sacrifices needed to make that my career.

So as of today I have settled on getting my Family Nurse Practitioner. For those of you who have absolutely have no idea what I am talking about click here!. I am excited about starting this program, but I feel I should take some time to let it stick before I start applying to schools. The OTHER thing to add to this whole mess is that I need to stick around in one place long enough to actually finish a program, which isn't up to me, it's up to the good old United States Navy.

Ugh...too much stuff for me to obsess about. Well this is the plan for now. There is a program local that has a good program, application deadline is March 1st. I'll get some references at work and get my application in. If I get accepted, awesome! If we don't end up staying in San Diego I'll just be out the application fee (which would be the case if I don't get in anyway).

Wish me luck, I think I need it.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck!! A lot of DNP programs now offer a ton of stuff online now too so maybe if you do end up moving you might be able to make arrangements to do your clinical work on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Going back to school's exciting :)

    ReplyDelete