Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ponderings

My Nursing Career has gotten off to a pretty rocky start. To be honest I never was really quite sure what I wanted to do in Nursing, the hard part is that there is just SO MUCH! The only clinical I didn't really get a lot out of was Psych (sorry mom!) which leaves, oh I don't know, one billion other options? It's hard, especially for someone as indecisive as I am!



I keep feeling restless, it's not that I am not THRILLED to pieces to be in the ER, it's a much better fit for me then the med-surge floor was. What think I mean is that the ER isn't a perfect fit for me long term. I don't see myself working there when I'm 30, or even when I'm 25.



I go back to thinking about what it is about my current job that I like, what it is I like about nursing in general....



I like...the education

I like...the families

I like...babies, I really enjoy getting infant patients, while this usually freaks out the other staff

I like...the chaos!!!...the ED is usually quite busy, which makes me have to multi-task 100% of the time. I LOVE this...

I like...the teamwork

I like....the critical patients mixed in with less critical patients



I think that at my husbands next duty station, which will be next fall. I will make the leap and try again for the NICU, which most of you know I had already considered heavily back in late March. Who knows if my opinion will change or what might happen in the next year. That's what I find so fun about day dreaming.....

But for now, I still go to work with a smile on my face, because I do really like my job.

And I LOVE being a Nurse!

4 comments:

  1. Have you any idea where his next duty station will be?? It would be sweet if it was Norfolk!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thing to hear that you truly love your job and even if you aren't completely satisfied with the prospect of the ER in a few years, you love nursing in general so are getting the most out of all of your experiences. Whatever you want in the future, I hope you get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I'm a nurse too, I thought I might chime in on this one!

    ...I start my first RN job in two weeks...so take my advice as a grain of salt, but here I go. I recently interviewed for a job in the NICU, and I was literally told this "You will be working with 150 women. Only one man has been able to survive working on this unit, and I think it was because he served in the Gulf War."

    I was also told flat out that it will be difficult to work on that type of unit because the women who work there tend to get very teritorial because some of the patients are so critical, and there for so long...and I guess I am bringing this all up because of your recent post about the woman you work with who doesn't seem like you, and the fact that it is very likely you will probably end up running into more of that on a NICU.

    I actually have a friend who has been a RN on a NICU for a long time now, and she basically confirmed everything that the Nurse Manager I was interviewing with told me. She too is actually getting a little bored with her job and is considering a change into Pediatric Oncology.

    Whatever you end up doing, I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy it! I'm sure every area of nursing has it's pro's and con's. I think it's a good idea to try out a few different types of departments because I think that is the only way to figure out what it is that you want from a job because like you said, there are just so many options out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a mixed blessing to have so many options!! I am so glad you love your job though!

    ReplyDelete