Sunday, May 5, 2013

Kyle's Banana Bread


untitled-8.jpg


One of my Pregnancy “cravings” has been sweets. I have always been a gal who prefers salty to sweet hands down; pretzels over skittles; chips over hershey kisses etc. When I go to the movies I skip right over the glass candy case and head for the gigantic popcorn maker (a dash of salt and artificially processed butter substitute please!) So imagine my surprise when I started really craving cookies and ice cream instead of my usual standby snack of salt and vinegar chips. I’ve been avoiding these particular cravings like the plague because I know that they will only pack on the non-essential pounds that will be the very weight that will be impossible to loose post baby.

But every once in a while I give in to temptation!

I had been craving my husbands banana bread recipe for the last week and Kyle finally made it for me yesterday. Its been my favorite ever since he first made it for me about 5 years ago; not only because he makes it but because it’s amazingly moist and delicious. It can easily be adapted to your taste (or your pantry’s inventory!) And bananas are healthy right?

Kyle’s Banana Bread
adapted from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 lb unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 extra-large eggs 
3/4 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 brown bananas)
1 cup medium diced ripe bananas (about 1 yellow banana)
1 cup diced walnuts
1 cup granola
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
Dried banana chips, granola or shredded coconut (optional)


Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Grease and flour two bread pans

Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the melted butter and blend. Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas. Add them to the four and butter mixture; scrape the bowl and blend well. DON’T OVERMIX

Fold the diced bananas, walnuts, granola, and coconut into the batter. Spoon the batter into bread pans, filling each one 1/2 to 3/4 full (mine ended up being about half full) Top each loaf with shredded coconut, diced nuts or granola if desired. 

Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. I love a slice of bread lightly toasted with butter for breakfast (with some whole fruit or something so I don't feel too guilty!)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment