Now don't get me wrong, I love me some blue box every now and then, but that's not something I'm gonna serve center stage on my table. This melty cheesy goodness is something you can serve proudly to your mother-in law then eat out of a mug later while you relax on the couch watching bad T.V.
I made this as written and it was fantastic, however next time I prepare it I think i'm going to swap out the bacon for some ham and peas. I'm more of a ham person anyway. The best part of this recipe? No cream, no butter, no whole milk and no, I'm not lying.
From: Cooking Light Magazine
* 3 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
* 12 ounces strozzapreti or penne pasta
* 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups skim milk, divided
* 2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
* 1/4 cup sliced green onions
* 1 teaspoon hot sauce
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 2 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
* Cooking spray
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Bring 6 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until al dente; drain.
3. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add 1 cup milk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 4 minutes or until it cools to 155°. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, onions, hot sauce, pepper, and bacon; stir. Add pasta; toss. Spoon into a 2-quart broiler-safe dish coated with cooking spray; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Broil 7 minutes.