Friday, August 6, 2010

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

I really have had a lot on my plate lately, and thus the blog will continue to suffer; but I refuse to stop posting!

Today I was on-call for my job, which means that anytime between 7am & 7pm if the ER gets busy enough that the charge nurse feels we need more help, she calls me and I have to come in. It's really the definition of "waiting for the other shoe to drop." If/when you get called in you have to get to work in 30 minutes so you can't really do anything since Murphy's Law dictates that as soon as you go anywhere or do anything that's when you get called in. So today as soon as I got settled in the couch with my laptop to update this blog and started playing Harry Potter V on books on tape; my cell phone went off; and into work I go.

I really have a love/hate relationship with my job. I tell people that some days are good; and some days are just so incredibly bad that I literally crawl home at the end of the day. I do have great respect for the doctors and nurse I work with. I have never laughed harder, had more fun, been more stressed out or more scared then I have been at this job. I love it & I hate it.

I had decided after a lot of thought that I want to stay in the ER for at least another year to get more experience. I have decided that I need to give the ER a fair shot, since I do really enjoy the work that I do. I have saved lives, literally brought a person back to life before. It's really amazing work. So I decided to put the kibosh on the L&D route for now, at least while we are still in San Diego. Not only because the only L&D jobs around here are all night positions, but that is certainly a contributing factor ;-).

Well that's all for now. Enjoy your weekend everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment