Fresh Tomato and Turkey Sausage Pasta
Source: Cooking Light
- 8 oz uncooked penne
- 8 oz sweet italian turkey sausage (any kind of sausage will work in this dish)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup vertically sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/4 lbs fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 6 tablespoons grated fresh pecorino Romano Cheese, divided (I found this in the deli section of my supermarket but I suppose fresh parmesan would work as well)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt, drain.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add oil to the pan; swirl to coat. Add sausage and onion to pan; cook for 4 minutes, stirring to crumble sausage. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, cook for an additional 2 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in pasta and toss to coat. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese, salt and pepper. Mix with basil and serve immediately with remaining cheese.