Sunday, September 20, 2009

Indian Chicken Curry

Hey! Sorry guys I have had bloggers block over the last couple of days. ER orientation has been all consuming this past week and when my weekend off approached all I wanted to do was NOTHING! Tonight I'm having a Netflix night, a double feature classic/new release (The King and I & The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)

Anyway I wanted a chicken and rice bowl for dinner and I tried to find a recipe that used whatever I had on hand in my pantry. I found a Chicken Curry that fit the bill.

Heres a warning that if you are not familiar with Indian food this might be a little strong for your taste. Authentic Curry has a very fragrant and strong taste, but if you are a fan of curry you will LOVE THIS. It didn't have the mustard yellow I was expecting but I guess the coloring comes from the combination of the yellow of the curry with the reds of the tomato paste and paprika.

Indian Chicken Curry
source: All Recipes.com
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • salt to taste
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  1. **I added an additional step first based on the recipe's reviews. I combined all of the dry spices (Curry Powder, Cinnamon and Paprika) in an empty small non-stick pot and heat over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes, adding a splash of olive oil. This extra step enriches the flavor of the curry.
  2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until lightly browned. Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sugar and salt. Continue stirring for 2 minutes. Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
  3. Remove bay leaf, and stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Add 1/2 cup fresh pineapple (if desired). Simmer 5 more minutes. Serve over hot Jasmine rice.
IMG_3852

No comments:

Post a Comment