Monday, April 5, 2010

I hear the call of pregnant women....

No no, it's not what you think. I am (again) thinking about Transferring to Labor and Delivery Nursing. I know I know what you're saying "didn't you just transfer to ED? Aren't you happy there? Well you would be right on both accounts but let me tell you this; I have been thinking about trying OB-GYN nursing ever since my rotation there back in nursing school. I have talked about it several times on this blog here and here; and it made me smile when I remembered that I wanted this as badly now again as I did last summer.

Last spring I tried over and over to get hired on an L&D unit and I never got as much as a call back, so I decided to set my sights on ED just to get out of med/surge and to gain more experience. I have really loved my last 8 months in the department and I honestly would be happy staying there for another year, but I have decided to start looking for L&D jobs, just in case one decided to pop it's head at me. You never know right? In the meantime this summer I plan on taking an Online Fetal Heart Monitoring Course and I'm considering joining the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses. When that L&D job comes along..I'll be there to catch it!!

3 comments:

  1. You go girl! I'm glad you have an idea of where you want to be and know where you are going. I STILL feel lost. I am again concidering a major change to something that brings me a little less anxiety.

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing I love about nursing is that there are so many options! If you can, keep getting as much experience in as many areas as possible!

    I think you mentioned a while back about maybe wanting to go back to school...well who knows?! Maybe after a little time in OB/L&D you will want to go back to school to be a Women's Health NP. That would be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! You should definitely follow your heart and choose the career path that's going to make you happiest :)

    ReplyDelete