My Dad LOVES Macaroni & Bean soup. So when I was thinking of easy things to make when they are here, this was an obvious choice. If you make this to freeze I wouldn't add the pasta until you are about to serve it. The cooked pasta soaks up the broth and it isn't as good when it is reheated. The spices can be changed to suit your tastes. I made a few alterations to the recipe.
Pasta y Fajioli Soup
Source: All Recipes
* 3/4 pound ground turkey or beef
* 1 yellow onion chopped
* 1 small carrot chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tbs olive oil
* 6 cups chicken broth
* 1 can tomato sauce
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 2 cans red kidney beans
* 1 tablespoon dried parsley
* 2 tablespoons dried basil
* 1/8 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
* dash of Tabasco sauce
* 1 tablespoon white vinegar
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 1 box (16 oz.) Ditalini Pasta
- In a large stock pot, pour the 2 tbs of olive oil (or two turns) and heat over medium heat, brown meat and add onion, carrot and garlic. Saute until onion pieces turn clear. Drain grease from pot.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes and sauce, beans and spices, reduce heat and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- If freezing - allow to cool and ladle into freezer zip-locks by lining a large mug with the zip-lock bag.
- If serving - Bring separate pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to box directions. Drain and add pasta to pot. Heat through and serve with a heated baguette and fresh parmesan cheese.