Thursday, September 23, 2010

Neti Pots

Have you guys herd of Neti Pots?

Neither had I until a few days ago.




I get really bad sinus infections every so often and when they hit me they hit H-A-R-D. I mean pressure, headaches, going through multiple boxes of tissues, the whole bit. Being a nurse I have full faith in modern medicine but I do think that there is much to be said about homeopathic medicine as well. One of my fellow nurses told me about the Neti Pot when I was at work and she saw me blow my nose for the millionth time. Apparently it is a teapot looking thing that you fill with luke-warm water and an isotonic (fancy word for same pH as your body) saline (fancy word for salt water) solution. You bend over the sink with your head tilted and let the water flow slowly through one nostril and out the other. It's supposed to wash out your sinus passages and break up heavy secretions.

When she was telling me this I was skeptical, mostly because I was picturing how ridiculous I would look bending over a sink with a teapot in my nose but when I couldn't take the sinus pain anymore I went to Target on my way home and picked up a NasaFlo neti pot (same one pictured above) and brought it home to try.

I tell you, I am SOLD. This thing ROCKS! After I used it I was actually able to breath out of the right side of my face for the first time all week! If you guys have sinus trouble or allergies I implore you to give this a try. You nostrils will thank you!

p.s. Amoxicillin helps too (thank GOD for antibiotics!)

No comments:

Post a Comment